Intel, news

Diego Garcia-Based B-2s Used in Strikes on Houthi Targets

| Chase Tactical | Tactical Gear

The U.S. Air Force has begun using B-2 Spirit stealth bombers in its ongoing campaign against Houthi targets in Yemen, signaling a significant escalation after weeks of speculation about the aircraft’s presence on Diego Garcia.

According to CNN, B-2 bombers have recently been used in combat operations against Houthi targets in Yemen. The aircraft had been forward-deployed to Diego Garcia in recent weeks.

Defense officials cited by CNN said the bombers are being used alongside other platforms to deliver standoff weapons, including Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles (JASSMs), designed to strike high-value targets without exposing crews to air defense systems.

JASSMs are low-observable, precision-guided cruise missiles with ranges exceeding 200 nautical miles. They can be launched from B-2s as well as other aircraft such as the B-52 and F-15E.

For weeks, observers tracked the B-2 build-up on Diego Garcia with little public comment from the Pentagon. The sudden transition from deterrence to engagement has raised questions about U.S. intentions, particularly whether the aircraft were always intended for use in Yemen or if their mission evolved due to the Houthis’ continued ability to strike Red Sea shipping and down U.S. drones.

The total cost of the U.S. operation has approached $1 billion, according to CNN, with strikes continuing amid ongoing Houthi attacks on commercial shipping and U.S. drones.

Since March 3, Houthi forces have shot down three U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drones. Two of the losses occurred in the past week, bringing the total number of U.S. Reapers downed over Yemen to at least 17 since October 2023. Each Reaper costs approximately $30 million and serves as a critical platform for surveillance, targeting, and strike coordination.

The MQ-9, which is highly effective in permissive environments, has shown vulnerabilities in contested airspace, where the Houthis employ a mix of Iranian-supplied and locally modified air defense systems.

The Pentagon has not released a detailed assessment of the campaign’s overall impact. However, Multiple outlets report that several Houthi military sites have been struck, including a leader identified as the group’s drone operations chief.

Unnamed defense officials reportedly raised concerns about the rate at which long-range precision munitions are being used, and whether continued use could affect stockpiles reserved for other theaters, including the Indo-Pacific. Other officials noted that current inventories remain sufficient for global requirements.

Despite ongoing questions about cost and effectiveness, President Donald Trump released a video on April 4 via Truth Social that appeared to show a U.S. airstrike resulting in heavy casualties. “These Houthis gathered for instructions on an attack. Oops, there will be no attack by these Houthis! They will never sink our ships again,” Trump said in the post, which included aerial footage of a strike he claimed killed over 70 militants.

As of publication, the U.S. Department of Defense has not confirmed the specific strike or the reported number of casualties.